We have made a number of changes to the category list for the 2022 awards in response to feedback we have received and to mark the 25th anniversary of the UK Pensions Awards.
This year, we have included three 25th Anniversary Awards to reflect excellence in consultancy, investment management and defined contribution over the past quarter of a century – recognising those firms who have consistently outperformed their peers.
We have also added an Impact Manager of the Year category to reflect the growth of darker green impact strategies. In addition, we have renamed the Alternative Investment Manager of the Year category to Alternative and Private Markets Investment Manager of the Year to reflect on the growing importance of this area to pension funds.
The full list of categories for the 2022 awards is:
25th Anniversary Awards:
- 25 Years of Excellence in Consultancy
- 25 Years of Excellence in Investment Management
- 25 Years of Excellence in Defined Contribution
- Actuarial/Pensions Consultancy of the Year
- DC Consultancy of the Year
- Investment Consultancy of the Year
- Pension Lawyers of the Year
- Pensions Litigation Firm of the Year
This category looks to recognise those who work in pensions litigation and dispute resolution – looking to reward the firms that have conducted both high profile pensions cases in the trustee, corporate and public sector arenas but also those who can resolve such disputes behind ‘closed doors’ at an early stage.
- Risk Reduction Adviser of the Year
- Fiduciary Evaluator of the Year
This category looks to recognise those firms who evaluate, select and monitor fiduciary managers.
- Sponsor Covenant / IRM Adviser of the Year
- DC Pension Provider of the Year
- DC Investment Manager of the Year
- DC Multi-Asset Fund Manager of the Year
- DC Master Trust of the Year
- DC Innovation of the Year
The DC Innovation of the Year category is a wide-ranging category that rewards the firm that has innovated most in the DC space in the 12 months to 31 December 2021. This could include the launch of new DC offerings, new consulting services, investment innovation, technology solutions and services, communication, guidance and advice offerings etc. Judges will look at the extent to which your firm has developed new services, products and offerings for clients and the extent to which these innovations helped pension schemes, sponsors, trustees and scheme members.
- Investment Manager of the Year
- Fiduciary Manager of the Year
- Institutional Investment Platform Provider of the Year
- Equity Manager of the Year
- Fixed Income Manager of the Year
- Factor Investing Manager of the Year
- DB Multi-Asset Manager of the Year
- Emerging Markets Manager of the Year
- Real Estate Manager of the Year
- Alternative and Private Markets Investment Manager of the Year *** RENAMED FOR 2022 ***
The wide-ranging Alternative and Private Markets Investment Manager of the Year category will rewards the asset management firm that has excelled most in the alternatives and private markets space over the 12 months to 31 December 2021.Areas this category will cover will include hedge funds, private equity and infrastructure as well as private debt. It will also include more specialist alternatives such as agriculture and timber. Please note, however, the category is not limited to these specific areas and other alternatives will be considered in this category also.
- ESG Manager of the Year
The ESG Manager of the Year category aims to reward excellence among those managers who can best demonstrate how they integrate ESG across their product range as well as those who offer specific ESG focussed funds and strategies such as impact investing. Entrants should focus specifically on how they have improved their ESG processes and performance during the year, The award will focus on achievements made over the12 months to 31 December 2021.
- Impact Manager of the Year *** NEW FOR 2022 ***
The Impact Investment Manager of the Year category aims to reward excellence among those managers who can best demonstrate how they create a positive social or environmental impact with their strategy. Entrants should be able to outline the objectives of their fund as well as how well they have met them during the year. The award will focus on achievements made over the 12 months to 31 December 2021
- Liability-Driven Investment (LDI) Manager of the Year
- Cashflow-driven Investment (CDI) Manager of the Year
- Risk Reduction Provider of the Year
- DB Investment Innovation of the Year
- Diversity and Inclusion Excellence Award
This category is open to the providers, advisers and asset managers that provide services to occupational pension schemes and trustees. It aims to reward those firms that best promote diversity and inclusion within their own workforce as well as those who have contributed to industry-wide initiatives in this area. Judges will, in particular, look at initiatives launched and conducted during the year to 31 December 2021.
- Independent Trustee of the Year
- Third-Party Administrator of the Year
- Technology Innovation of the Year
- Pensions Communication Initiative of the Year
- DB Master Trust / Consolidator of the Year
This category is open to both DB master trust and superfund consolidators. Entrants, however, will need to be able to demonstrate they have had new business wins in the year to 31 December 2021.
- Educational and Thought Leadership Initiative of the Year
The Educational and Thought Leadership Initiative of the Year category specifically aims to reward the consultancy or provider which has worked hardest to help trustees and employers understand the complex world of pensions and investments and those that have broken new ground in terms of pensions knowledge and understanding – either developing new ideas to help solve the issues pension schemes and trustees or challenging current orthodoxies over the 12 months to 31 December 2021. Judges will look at the extent to which consultant and provider initiatives have helped trustees understand complex topics, make better decisions or look at things in a new way. Initiatives may include such things as thought leadership, articles, whitepapers, seminars, conferences, videos etc
- Retirement Innovation of the Year